Sunday, March 4, 2007

Rockclimbing Rio & All-You-Can-Eat-Sushi

On thursday afternoon I added something to my 'one of the best things I have ever done' list. I rockclimbed sugar loaf mountain, in the heart of rio. It usually takes tourists up in a cable car, because it has the best birds-eye view of the city. Fred, Lance and myself trekked around the base of it, and did 4 pitches and hiking to the summit. We started at 3.30pm, and arrived at the top on dusk. Some parts i was holding on with one hand, which was crazy fun, and surrounded by the city, ocean and mountains was the best backdrop! so at the top, i was crash tackled by the leader trying to be the first up... and when we got there had some victory vodkas, overlooking rio by night! I plan to do a few more climbs. This sunday night (full moon) Im climbing a completely vertical pitch with a pro climber, and we are going to sleep overnight on the face (very safe i promise), in a stretcher-like bed attached to the anchors. When Jenni gets here, we are going to do a climb up the mountain that my big mate (jesus) is on. we can actually climb all the way to his platform, so that should be pretty good. I have not wanted to leave rio, so i've started doing shifts on reception at my mango tree hostel, which will make it easier for me to stay longer. Im getting along with my portugese. my new boy roberto is helping me with that! its a lot easier to learn when you really need to! so im awake at 5.30am this morning, it must have something to do with the all-you-can-eat sushi dinner we had last night. between me and my friend dror, we ate a huge total of 65 servings of sushi, terriyaki, noodles & rice!!! we were trying to get our money's worth :) and both looked pregnant afterwards. until next time... tchau, tj.

No comments:

Post a Comment